The key to moist, flavorful poultry is to brine the meat before cooking. Here’s my favorite brine, suitable for a 3-4 lb whole chicken or 4-5 lbs of parts.
- 1 gallon of water
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 10 ounces Kosher salt
- 6 whole cloves
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 Tbsp black peppercorns (whole)
- 10 Bay leaves
- Place approximately 1 quart of the water in a sauce pan over med-high heat. Add the salt and honey. Continue heating and stirring until the salt and honey are dissolved.
- Pour the warm water into a suitable container with the remaining ingredients.
- Place the brine in the refrigerator and allow it to chill before adding the meat (2-3 hours).
- Add the meat and return the refrigerator for 8-12 hours.
- Remove the meat and discard the brine.